Friday, June 15, 2018

How PPPD Develops

The triggers and development of PPPD, in my understanding, differ from person to person. There is always one triggering event, however that starts it all off. Usually this is some vestibular disorder like Ménière's disease, BPPV (regular vertigo), or some other inner ear disorder, but it can also be a traumatic brain injury or other conditions that cause dizziness. The next steps vary, so I can really only tell you how it happened in my case as was explained to me by the doctors at the Mayo Clinic. But the general pattern should be the same.
IMG_5641 from Flickr via Wylio
© 2013 John Bäckstrand, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio

The docs told me that my triggering event was inner ear damage of an unknown origin. Through testing, they determined that the vestibular function in my left ear was damaged by 70%. They also told me that my migraines made the situation worse, because they evidently interfere with the brain's ability to regulate balance. So once you are dizzy, the brain goes into survival mode trying to help you keep your balance. As you walk, the brain is working really hard to keep you from falling down. In my case. This was aggravated by extreme, prolonged stress I was experiencing in the workplace. The more you try to function, the more your brain gets agitated, making it harder to balance, so the dizzier you get. And the spiral starts.

As you get dizzier, the brain searches for another way to balance, so it starts depending on signals from the eyes to balance rather than the inner ears. The eyes, however, are terrible at this for two reasons. One, everything around you moves, so your eyes are constantly adjusting and sending signals to the brain. And two, the eyes take up more brain power than any other organ, so you're taxing your brain even more, agitating it even further, making it harder to balance. And down it goes.

The dizzier you are, the fewer things you are able to do. And your life gets smaller and smaller till you can't leave the house or even entertain visitors. That is the downward spiral and it gets worse and worse until you get treatment. The good news is that there is a treatment. See my post Working Out Your Inner Ear and Your Brain.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions. I would love to know your story. The more we get the news out about PPPD, the more doctors will learn to diagnose and treat it.

And as always, if you like any of these posts, please share using the buttons below.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to start calling you Dr. Corder! Wow! That is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for starting this blog and for sharing your story. I too have been battling this awful condition for many years. It’s such a journey and right now unfortunately, I’m dizzier and more exhausted than I’ve been in a while. Gong to go back on Zoloft, and continue with my VRT, no matter how tedious it is. Do you think a visit to the Mayo Clinic to see Dr. Staab is worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Honor. I am so sorry to have taken so long to get back with you. I don't seem to get notified always when I have a comment, and I haven't checked my blog in a while, because, unfortunately, I've had a bit of a setback myself. But I'm so glad you wrote. I do have a question before I say whether or not you should go to to Mayo - have you received a diagnosis of PPPD? Because most doctors are not familiar with it, so it is hard to get a diagnosis. But if you can't get to Mayo, then I would say, at least try to get to a facility in the Mayo network. Because they SHOULD be familiar with PPPD. https://www.mayoclinic.org/about-mayo-clinic/care-network/members Good luck to you and stay tuned for more. Thanks so much for posting!

      Delete