Friday, June 8, 2018

Beating the Fatigue Part Two - Meditation

As I mentioned in Part One, I discovered the combination of exercise and meditation by researching brain trauma recovery after I began thinking of my brain as being damaged. I believe that it was damaged by severe prolonged stress, a topic I will write about soon. At any rate, the combination of exercise and meditation is working really well for me. Again, I'll give my inexpert non-medical opinion as to why it helps.
meditation from Flickr via Wylio
© 2007 impaulsive photography, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio

First, meditation teaches you the value of deep breathing. It's very calming, which is a benefit, but in my opinion, the real value is that deep breathing in combination with exercise helps get oxygen to to the brain, allowing it to create new brain cells and repair damaged tissue. Secondly, we've talked about how migraine and PPPD make the.brain extra sensitive to external stimuli. Meditation teaches you to disregard the stimuli, and with me, it seems to be happening even sub-consciously. As the brain gets stronger and calmer, it is better able to defend itself from over stimulation.

I have also found that guided imagery works really well during meditation. I picture my brain healing, growing new brain cells, creating new synapses. And I picture myself breathing in healing oxygen and breathing out toxins or any unwanted symptoms. I found some really helpful guided meditation and imagery tracks on www.healthjourneys.com. The one on Traumatic Brain Injury works well for me, but they have tons to choose from and you can buy them online and download them straight to your mobile device.

If you just want to get started with meditation, Calm.com (or use the Calm app) has lots of excellent guided meditation exercises for free. There's also soothing music you can use for meditation on your own. I also use the calming music sometimes when I practice my Tai Chi.

You know, I have to wonder if I had started meditation while I was going through the extraordinary stress at my workplace if I might have avoided this whole journey. But regardless, I am finding it invaluable now. I meditate about 25 minutes a day, but it doesn't have to be that much. I think doing it every day is more important than the amount of time you spend. I'd say if you don't have 25 minutes, try for 10.

I'd love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments. And if you like any of these articles, please share them using the buttons below.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely! I got into a steady meditation practice this year. I'm really into Joseph Goldstein. A great book is The Experience of Insight! he also has a great podcast called "Insight Hour".
    I try to get into at least 10 or 20 minutes a day. I can completely relate to you forming a mental image of healing and transforming the your brain. This has been a huge success for me, especially during times when symptoms are bad. Another great help has been studying philosophy. Either through books, for as long as I can handle, or through podcasts. I find that any focused attention to something that isn't my present state is a great way to break the pattern of symptoms. I feel like many of us who are, or have in the past, suffered from this condition are very much alike. Our brains are very much wired the same and we share an innate tendency to develop this condition. I can't express how import finding this podcast is to me. I hope to talk with you and others on the forum more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joshua. You know, I noticed that podcast just yesterday. I will definitely check it out. I agree with you that we must be wired similarly. I would love to discuss that more. I am working on the best way for us all to connect. I hope you check back. Thanks so much for posting!! gail

      Delete