Wednesday, June 6, 2018

P.S. to my migraine post

Today I received my first dose of Aimovig. It is the first of a new class of migraine preventives that is being developed. This is huge news for migraine sufferers. If you haven't heard of it, these CGRP* inhibitors are the first drugs ever developed specifically for migraine prevention. All other preventives that are used were developed to treat something else and then found to help prevent migraines in some people. They all have side effects and none of them has worked for me.

Aimovig is the first CGRP inhibitor to be approved by the FDA. Others are coming later this year. The great thing about these medications is that side effects are few and mild and they are proven to be effective in reducing migraine days by as much as half. They come in self-injectible pens and Aimovig has a 2 month free trial available. I just received and took my first dose. Super exciting. I'll let you know how it goes!


*Calcitonin Gene-related Peptide

No comments:

Post a Comment