Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Go Back to Start

If anybody was wondering whether or not you can have a relapse with PPPD, you can. In my case, it was brought on by the shock of having my LTD benefits discontinued. It wasn't the money, although when you can't work, the money is important. It was that I felt like they were saying that I'd been faking all along; lying about my condition. They ruled that I would be able to work 40 hours a week, when the truth was that I couldn't sit at the computer for more than an hour without having to rest. I couldn't do a tiny fraction of the work I did previously. It was ludicrous and insulting and incredibly upsetting to me.

This complete jolt to my system set me back about a year and a half in my recovery. It was so ironic. Suddenly I was dizzy again every day and the fatigue went off the charts. I had to start all over with my rehab and walking. Whereas I had worked my way up to walking 30 minutes a day, I had to start all over again at 3 minutes. Three minutes! It was so frustrating. That was in October (9 months ago) and I still haven't worked my way back to where I was, although I'm getting closer. I have actually just in the last week started to try very light housework. Basically I can dust one room. But it's a start.

If you do suffer a relapse, remember two things: you got better before, you can do it again and, as Dr. Staab said "patience and persistence" are the key. Boy he wasn't kidding! Let me know if you have experienced anything similar. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment