Tuesday, June 12, 2018

I Can Read!

This is huge for me. Reading has always been my favorite pastime, and it was one of the first casualties of my PPPD. I couldn't read for more than a minute or two without getting really dizzy. It was a variable thing. I could read enough to find what I needed when researching symptoms, doctors, etc. Then I would print it out and my husband would read it to me. The smaller the screen, the better. Phone beat tablet; tablet beat computer. 

lovely book ! from Flickr via Wylio
© 2010 Tim Geers, Flickr | CC-BY-SA | via Wylio
I'll mention here that this symptom of PPPD is sometimes referred to as Visual Vertigo. If you have this problem, here are some resources that I found very helpful:
At any rate, my beloved books were off limits. Instead I depended on audiobooks for two years. But as my dizziness improved, I began to have less trouble reading. Just recently, I finally felt ready to try a large print book. I thought that would be a good place to start. And success! I had no trouble reading large print. After reading two large print books, I got up the courage to try normal print, and once again, success!

You don't realize how much the small things mean to you until they're taken away. Picking up a book is a simple pleasure I won't take for granted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment